Keep it Green
Help us Keep it Green. What can you do?
- Bring a reusable water bottle that can be refilled with water at the water points. We are trying to ban the sale of single use plastics (including water bottles).
- Use reusable bags for your belongings, food and drink.
- Buy a reusable cup for £1 at the bars to reduce single use plastic and support Keep it Green Sustainability Initiatives.
- Walk, cycle or use public transport to get to the event. The biggest environmental impact at festivals is travel.
- Don’t litter: throw your waste away in the correct bin to ensure it will be recycled.
- Spread the word and encourage others to follow our suggestions
We are committed to running Walthamstow as sustainably as possible and reducing our environmental impacts wherever possible. To do this, we set ourselves objectives across each level of planning and delivering the Garden Party to:
- Reduce waste, maximise recycling and minimise the environmental impact of Walthamstow Garden Party
- Use the event to promote a green, inclusive culture in Waltham Forest
- Ensure the event is a safe, welcoming place for the public
- Support sustainability initiatives that regenerate such as carbon offset
This extends out to the traders, partners, organisations and event-goers involved in the Garden Party to reduce, reuse and recycle their resources. Together we aim to:
- Minimise use of plastic packaging and look to ban sale of single use plastic on site where possible e.g. plastic bottled water, plastic bags, plastic knives and forks
- Minimise waste – working with traders and partners to judiciously plan resources
- Maximise recycling opportunities e.g. for traders’ wet waste, event-goers’ waste
- Minimise power requirements and use clean energy where possible
- Minimise road and air miles e.g. by prioritising local traders.
- Encourage responsible sourcing e.g. Fairtrade, organic
- Maximise access and encourage inclusivity
- Ensure the event is safe
Is it working? Well in 2017 we proudly saved 2086 plastic water bottles from being thrown away through working with FRANK Water to refill 1043 litres of water festival-goers. We also successfully recycled over 1.8 tonnes of waste and turned 250kg of food waste into free compost for Waltham Forest residents.
In 2018, we ran a reusable cup scheme for the first time which saved 26,828 single use plastic cups from going into landfill. In partnership with London Borough of Waltham Forest’s Waste Management team we managed to recycle 74.6% of our waste onsite in 2018. In 2018, we received a Carbon Offset Certificate for offsetting 6718.978kg of CO2. In 2018, Appetite Food Market went meat-free and championed compostable packaging.
We’re incredibly proud of the work that has been done up to now, but we’re committed to going further and improving the sustainability of Walthamstow Garden Party. Your help is so valuable to us.
We have joined the Festival Vision: 2025 pledge, with industry steering group Powerful Thinking, and are aiming to reduce our impacts year on year and measure our progress. Find out more about the pledge at: www.festivalvision2025.net